Are you searching for the best CMS platform to build your website?
A CMS (Content Management System) allows you to create a website easily without requiring a deep understanding of code. A lot of CMS options are available, which makes it quite difficult sometimes to choose the best CMS based on your specific needs.
In this article, we will explain the importance of choosing the right CMS platform for your website. We will be sharing the top picks for the most popular and best CMS platforms along with the comparison as a few are just easier to install, update and use, thanks to some great planning from the lead developers.
Please find below the top 3 CMS platforms on the website that you can utilize for your upcoming tasks. Go through the pros and cons for each of them before choosing the best one based on your requirements:
WordPress is the number one choice for the best CMS platform to build your website. It is one of the most popular CMS software in the world, powering about 35% of entire websites on the internet. WordPress is a free open source CMS that was originally designed for blogging, but now it is used by all types of online stores/websites.
Self-hosted WordPress is the best website builder due to its powerful features, popularity, ease of use, and scalability. Being a free and open-source website builder, you will have maximum control over your website as compared to any other website builder included among the best ones.
It has always been easier to install WordPress. There are a number of web hosts offering one-click WordPress Installers that allow installation of WordPress with just a single click. In case you are comfortable using an FTP program, you can easily create a database, and use FTP to upload WordPress, and run the installer.
If you are looking for any help ranging from installing a theme to upgrading the speed of your WordPress site, you can contact us here.
- There is no cost for WordPress, except for the hosting charges (starting from $7.99/month approximately) and the registration of the domain name (mostly around $9-$15 per year)
- There are a couple of hosting companies offering free SSL and domain names once you purchase their package.
- WordPress provides you with the freedom and flexibility to develop any website of your choice (auction site, grocery site, membership site, etc.)
- Neither technical skills nor coding knowledge is essential to use it. It is very simple and easy to use and greatly helps you to create unique pages on your website
- With a few easy steps, you can easily make money online
- It is well designed for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) as it creates a friendly URL, digital marketing, tags, and categories for your posts. If you require more help, consider installing an SEO plugin.
- You are required to set up your domain and hosting name, and it’s your sole responsibility to manage security and backup for your website
- Due to the many options and flexibility that come with WordPress, sometimes it feels a little daunting to get started. This is the reason most beginners prefer using drag-drop page builder plugins for wordpress website development
Drupal is also an open-source CMS platform. It is the CMS behind a few major website developments including The Economist’s site and various university sites. It is really a great option for developers or those who can afford to hire a developer. If you are looking to develop a highly customized website that can easily handle a lot of data, then Drupal is perhaps the best option for you.
- Adding content is much easier on Drupal. Customer content types offer a lot of options and flexibility.
- It provides you with a wide range of modules that you can add to your site (they work quite similar to WordPress plugins)
- Like many other popular platforms, i.e., WordPress and Joomla, community support options are available to offer assistance.
- A built-in system makes the user management easier, enabling you to create new roles and specify their permissions.
- Sometimes, it becomes very tricky to change the appearance of your site or add extra, while using Drupal. This platform is definitely not user-friendly for beginners like WordPress.
- Due to the highly customized theme created by the developer for the majority of Drupal websites, it turns out to be very expensive.
Another popular free open-source CMS platform is Joomla, offering a lot of different templates and extensions to the users. It is free to use, however, you will require a domain name and hosting service.
Joomla, released in 2005, is definitely among the 3 best and most popular CMS platforms. It is packed with lots of simple, powerful, and unique features. Most of the web hosts offer a single-click installation. It is one of the excellent and ideal CMS platforms for experienced website creators and developers. However, it is never a good option for beginners.
- Joomla itself is free, however, you will be required to pay for the domain name and web hosting supporting Joomla.
- If you desire to add more functionalities to your website, you need to buy a few extensions. You would also need to hire a developer as only a professional can help you to achieve the best from the Joomla CMS platform.
- There are lots of options and flexibility for the users. If you are considering building something complicated or bespoke, Joomla is definitely a good choice.
- Joomla is also an open-source site like WordPress, and in case you get stuck you can find a lot of community support to get through.
- Although Joomla is more helpful for the developers, still you can use it even if you don’t know too much about the code. The editing of content is very simple and easy.
- You can easily run an e-commerce store while using Joomla as there are extensions available for it.
- Even Joomla fans admit it's complexity. Depending upon your requirements and preferences, you will need the services of a developer to help you out.
- For additional extensions, there are not many options available. If you are accustomed to a CMS like WordPress, having thousands of plugins and available themes extending the core functionality, you might get disappointed while using Joomla based on limited options.
- When you install a lot of various extensions and modules, then you may have to come across a few compatibility issues.